PI Education online continuing education courses for private investigators satisfy your continuing education requirements for Kansas. Since 2006 all courses offered through PI Education have been accepted by the Kansas Bureau of Investigation (KBI) as acceptable continuing education programs for private investigators.
PIeducation.com meets all statutory requirements in relation to private investigator continuing education requirements mandated by the Kansas Bureau of Investigation.
Kansas Private Investigator licensee must obtain 8 hours of continuing education every 2 years prior to license renewal.
- KBI has its own method to compute the total number of hours awarded for any private investigator continuing education course, whether it be taken in person or via distance education, like our online training programs. We’ve already done the math and our courses will qualify for your total CE requirement every two years, with the exception of the ethics course since it would only qualify for 2 hours.
- Programs that may be approved must address improving a private detective’s skills in the field or improve the investigator’s ability to run and manage a PI business.
- a) The program must require registration. b) The program must include a final examination. c) The participant must score at least 70 percent on the final examination. d) The participant must be provided a certificate of satisfactory completion.
- You must send a copy of the certificate of completion in with your license renewal paperwork.
- Training taken to satisfy your firearm permit requirements do not qualify for CE credit.
For those of you who like legal prose here is the less-than-abbreviated version:
K.A.R. 16-4-2. Continuing professional education requirements.
(a) Commencing December 31, 2006, each applicant for renewal of a private detective license that expires on December 31 of the year of its issuance and is renewed every two years thereafter shall have completed eight hours of acceptable continuing professional education obtained within the biennial renewal period before submitting the renewal application.
(b) For each individual whose initial private detective license is issued on or after July 1, 2004, for renewal of the license the individual shall have completed eight hours of acceptable continuing professional education before submitting the renewal application.
(c) The standards used to determine acceptable continuing professional education shall include the following:
- One hour shall equal 50 minutes of participation in a group or self-study program. One-half hour shall equal 25 minutes of participation in a group or self-study program.
- The hours devoted to actual preparation time by an instructor or speaker for formal programs shall be computed at a maximum of up to twice the number of continuing education credits that a participant would be entitled to receive.
- The hours served as an instructor or speaker shall be included to the extent that the hours contribute to the professional competence of the applicant. Repeated presentations of the same program shall not be counted unless the instructor or speaker demonstrates that the program content was substantially changed and the change required significant additional study or research.
K.A.R. 16-4-3. Continuing professional education programs; requirements.
(a) Any program designed to allow a participant to learn a given subject through interaction with an instructor and other participants either in a classroom or conference setting or by self-study may be approved for continuing education credit if the program meets the following conditions:
- The program is a formal program of learning that requires attendance and meets either of the following requirements: (A) Maintains or improves the professional competence of the applicant in providing detective business services; or (B) maintains or improves the applicant’s ability to operate and manage a detective business.
- An outline of the program is prepared in advance and provided to the applicant.
- The program is at least 50 minutes in length.
- The program is conducted by a person qualified in the subject area.
- A record of registration and attendance is retained.
(b) The following types of programs shall qualify as acceptable continuing education if they meet the requirements of subsection (a)
- Programs offered by the Kansas Association of Licensed Investigators, the Kansas Association of Private Investigators, or any other state or national organization or association of private detectives or investigators;
- programs offered by any individual, organization, association, or commission that provides education or training in the subjects identified in paragraph (a)(1)(A) or(B);
- university or college credit courses. Each semester hour of credit shall equal15 hours of continuing education credit. Each quarter hour of credit shall equal 10 hours of continuing education credit; and
- university or college noncredit courses. These courses shall qualify for continuing professional education credit that equals the number of actual, full 50-minuteclass hours attended.
(c) Any individual self-study program that allows a participant to learn a particular subject without the major involvement of an instructor may be eligible for continuing education credit if all of the following conditions are met
- the program is offered by any individual, organization, association, or commission that provides education or training in the subjects identified in paragraph (a)(1)(A) or (B).
- The program requires registration.
- The program includes a final examination.
- The participant scores at least 70 percent on the final examination.
- The participant provides a certificate of satisfactory completion.
(d) The amount of credit for self-study programs shall be determined as follows:
- Self-study programs may be approved for one hour of continuing education credit for each 50 minutes of participation and one-half hour for each 25-minute period of participation.
- The amount of credit shall not exceed the number of recommended hours assigned by the program sponsor.
(e) The training required by K.A.R. 16-6-1 shall not qualify as acceptable continuing professional education.
K.A.R. 16-4-4. Continuing professional education; documentation.
(a) When applying for renewal of the private detective license, each applicant shall provide one copy of all documents evidencing completion of each program of continuing professional education obtained within the biennial renewal period before the applicant’s submission of the renewal application. Each document evidencing program completion shall include the following information:
- The individual, organization, school, or sponsor conducting the program;
- the location of the program attended;
- the title of the program, or a brief description of the program;
- the dates attended or the date on which the program was completed; and
- the number of minutes in which the applicant participated.
(b) Any applicant may be required by the attorney general to verify the information specified in subsection (a) or to provide additional information as a part of the renewal application.